Last Minute Halloween Costume!

My 1st DIY Costume

Since my senior year of high school I have learned a few things about myself & Halloween: 
1. Buying Halloween costumes gets pretty expensive (especially since you only wear it once)!
2. I love-love-love group costumes (they up the costume cute factor)!
3. I am NOT, in any shape, from of fashion, a "crafty" person!

That being said, I had no idea what I was going to be for Halloween this year! I wanted something that would be beyond cute in my Instagram pictures, original, and something leggy enough that would make dressing up a bit more age appropriate without looking like a stereotypical college girl. As usual, my pickyness left me completely and utterly clueless. That was, until one of my sorority sisters had a brilliant idea: endlessy scroll on Pinterest until she found a group costume we all liked (Ok not that amazingly brilliant, but it worked!)!




While we originally thought making these was going to be a piece of cake, we soon hit several bumps-in-the road. "Does anyone know how to make a tutu?" Lucky for us, we had a sister in our costume group that was a bit more crafty than the rest of us who offered to show us the ropes...or tulle. 

Welcome to the diary of our DIY struggle: Halloween Edition




 

While we faced many difficulties and frustration in this process, we had a great time! It forced us to be a bit creative, a bit flexible, and willing to make continuous trips to the store for more material; all-the-while sharing some laughs and bonding with each other.  If you still need a last minute costume idea, try this one on for size! The best part about making a tutu is that you can wear it for multiple things (mostly, if you're a college student and/or sorority girl like myself!). I wish you all the best of luck with making homemade costume, hopefully you'll have an easier time than we had!

Tips for making your own costume:
1. Recruit as many "crafty" friends as possible
2. Start early!
3. Make sure you get enough material (tulle is very popular for Halloween costumes in college towns, which turned out it to be a huge problem for us).
4. Realize that even if it doesn't come out exactly like the original picture, IT'S OK! No one else is going to know exactly what it is supposed to look like anyway.
5. Have fun, fun, fun til your sorority sister takes the glue gun away!
6. ROCK IT!!!
....Close enough....
Xo,
J. Nichole

Comments

Popular Posts