Making it in Manhattan

Mentor Mondays

One of the things I enjoy most about living in Manhattan is the ability to just pick up and go to spectacular events. No matter where I am, there is bound to be something wonderful happening right down the block. 

When I lived in Texas, I used to see posts and stories about bloggers/models/actors doing meet-and-greets on Madison Ave or book signings at the Union Square Barns & Noble. Back then, I felt a million miles away from the action...Basically I was.

Now that I live in New York, I try to take every opportunity to get out into the social scene. I make a point of going to every event, soiree, and exhibit that catches my eye if for no other reason than because, well, now I can. 

On Monday, I attended a fabulous event at one of my favorite places. Caroline Vazzana, blogger and author of Making it in Manhattan, hosted the first of her "Mentor Mondays" events at Bloomingdale's on 59th Street.




On the fashion mecca's second floor, I found myself at a lively cocktail party in the midst of this season's hottest designs. Guests (including me ... especially me!) eagerly explored glittering swag bags while cute waiters passed champagne and petite snacks garnished with colorful flowers. 

Refreshments were followed by a high-powered panel of successful women in fashion, there to talk about making it in this notoriously competitive industry. On the panel were Betsy Jones, Senior Director of Partnerships at The Daily Row; Jordana Schrager, artist/designer/founder of By Jordana; Alexis Bennett, editor of e-commerce for Instyle.com; and Lauren Chan, former model and founder of Henning. In addition to telling their stories of making it in the biz, they shared frank advice on life, social media and so much more.


From left to right: Caroline Vazzana, Betsy Jones, Jordana Schrager, Alexis Bennett, and Lauren Chan

Here are some of the highlights:

Dealing with negativity on social media

Alexis: "I like to use social media and not let social media use me ... I try to think 'Did I spend more time today consuming content or creating content?'"

How to find inspiration 

Lauren: "I have the fear of God of crashing a business into the ground."

Caroline: "I think about my fourteen year old self... I can't let her down."

Alexis: "I have to think about those moments where I was dreaming about working at Instyle."

The best advice received and tips for someone wanting to get into the industry

Betsy: "Be a yes person! Do you want to go to a panel? Yes. Do you want to speak on a panel? Yes. ... When you go to events, connect with at least one person ... Say yes to everything and believe in yourself. ... There is nothing I can't do, or at least there is nothing I won't try to do."

What they look for in partner brands

Betsy: "I look for something that I find exciting. ... I love working with smaller brands because I know what I have to offer."

On how to dress like yourself at work

Alexis: "Wear whatever feels good and, obviously, isn't going to get you sent to HR."

After the panel wrapped up, the speakers lingered to speak with us individually and answer questions. I got spoke with Alexis about the value of having an MBA, internships and what she recommended for those trying to break into the industry later in life. Her advice: "Apply for everything! You never know what it could lead to."

I also got a chance to chat with our host, Caroline. As another person who loves writing, blogging and fashion, I wanted to pick her brain about a number of topics, but narrowed it down to speaking about her first book, and her upcoming sequel. She let me know that the journey to publication was hard, but she ultimately knew that her story needed to be told.


Me & Caroline Vazzana

The event left me feeling inspired, not only to continue to push toward my goals, but to look fabulous while doing so.

Vivre dans le luxe,
Jordin

Comments

Popular Posts