Champion of the Chicken Sandwich Debate

Harlem Public

Up to his old tricks, my food expert friend back in the South, sent me an Instagram photo of the most delectable-looking chicken sandwich! Maybe it was the fluffy brioche potato roll bun or the juicy chicken drenched in wing sauce. Perhaps it was all the social media coverage of the Chick-Fil-A vs Popeyes sandwich debate that made my mouth water at the sight of this meal.

Unable to get the feast off my mind, I grabbed my favorite Upper Eastsider and headed uptown to Harlem Public for a late Sunday lunch. Usually we are dedicated Sunday brunch ladies, but the Hot Fried Thigh is not offered on the Saturday/Sunday 11am-3pm brunch menu. 

Thinking we had timed our arrival perfectly, we arrived at 3:05pm, in time to find the kitchen closes from 3-4pm on the weekends to set up for the late lunch/dinner crowd. Starving and a little deflated, we decided to wait it out and took a seat on the patio to nurse a cocktail (the Purple Rain, pictured below) and nibbled chips and guacamole (the only food option offered during the changeover). 
 
 

 

We caught bit of a break when a waiter came over at 3:30pm to inform us that the kitchen had just reopened (yay)! We immediately placed an order for two sandwiches (note to picky eaters: the restaurant has a tiny kitchen and does abide substitutions). Then we waited with great anticipation.  

With surprising quickness, our orders were placed before us. We were immediately overcome by the intoxicating aroma of wing sauce and perfectly hot and salted french fries.

 

I must admit to one small reservation. As I'm sure you guessed from its name, the sandwich is made with the chicken thigh. Only having one previous and rather unimpressive experience with dark meat chicken, I was a tad worried. Still, I was eager to give this sandwich a chance.

Long story short, I was thrilled I did! My Hot Fried Thigh was utterly juicy, expertly seasoned and sauced, and balance with crunchy pickles and slaw. Initially worried that my request to sideline the sandwich's ranch dressing would be considered a substitution, the kitchen staff was kind enough to indulge me. One interesting part of our taste test was that my UES friend found the sandwich to be incredibly spicy! Enjoyable to be sure, but certainly sinus clearing for her. I, meantime, didn't catch a single bit of spice! To each her own, I suppose. 

We agreed in the end that the Hot Fried Thigh was heavenly (and everything else that came out of the kitchen appeared to be equally as amazing). Now adding Harlem Public to our growing repertoire of fave lunch spots.

Vivre dans le luxe,
Jordin

Comments

Popular Posts