If D&G Models Can Wear Crowns All Day, Why Can't I?

Modern Day Royalty


For a girl who has always felt deep down that I am a long-lost princess, it was beyond easy for me to get sucked into today's large assortment of television shows about royalty. My current favorites: The RoyalsThe CrownVersaillesThe Tudors -- and my ultimate love, Reign. The show portrays Adelaide Kane as Mary Queen of Scots and Toby Regbo as Francis II during their courtship and brief marriage, set in the context of Mary's battle recognition of her status as heir to the throne of England against her cousin, the reigning monarch Elizabeth I.

What drew me to this show more so than to its queenly counterparts is, in a word, costuming. The dresses chosen  for Reign are less interested in historically accuracy, and more resemble a gown I might choose for a sorority formal or gala dinner. The hot guys in the show helped me retain far more of the period’s historical facts than I ever learned from my ancient high school history teacher. But it was the fashion that mesmerized and really kept me watching. It may have been dreadful roaming around those damp, dark castles (I’ll take old Mrs. Stafford’s word for it; after all, she was an eyewitness), but I envied the queens, princesses and ladies in waiting their head-to-toe tulle, lace and silk. 

Long story and too many hours entranced in a Netflix binge later, I found myself wondering how I could add a bit of their daily glamor to my life as a commoner modern-day (almost) princess. At first I dove straight in and ordered a "tiara-styled" headband … However, once my friends stopped their fits of laughter and after I got tired of the waiters’ questioning looks upon discovering it was not, in fact, my birthday, I decided on a different approach. The characters’ clothing had a lot in common with some trends that are current but still give the luxurious feel of royal birth while avoiding the side-eye from commoners.


Lace & Florals








Tulle & Ruffles








Cold Shoulders & Statement Sleeves






Accessories Galore







P.S. I still wear that tiara styled headband! If they don't like it, let them eat cake!


Vivre dans le luxe,
Jordin

Comments

Popular Posts