Maybe My Summer Theme Should Have Been "Greek Goddess" Instead of "Roman Goddess"

Greek Life Recruitment


I am excited to share with you that this past week I was very busy with my university's 2014 Fall Sorority Recruitment (also my excuse for being so M.I.A. on my Instagram & other social medias)! It was a long, grueling, exhausting, fun, exciting, confusing, and otherwise emotion time for me and everyone else that participated. During this event, I got little sleep made poor eating decisions, but I also made TONS of new friends and I really pushed myself to achieve a goal I knew would be worth it! For those of you who are currently, or soon to be going through this amazing experience during your college career, here is a break down of my rush week experience, and some tips to help you successfully make it through to Bid Day!


**Please keep in mind that each school has its own set of rules, schedules and traditions; so make sure you check that out with your recruitment counselor or Panhellenic Council for your school's specific details.**


Day 1:

Day one was orientation day! This is the day that the Council basically just goes through the rules and regulations of the recruitment process with you, and let you know what you can expect during the week. As far as the dress code, we were told to wear what we wore to class that day. Because I had to walk to class in the smoldering heat, I brought a fresh shirt to wear with my jean shorts and flats.

Shirt: Lush//Shorts: American Eagle//Shoes: Steve Madden//Bag: Juicy Couture


Day 2:
This was a very nerve racking day because I had no idea what to expect! I got on the bus provided for our transportation to the meeting site, at 7:30, and immediately started talking to the other hopefuls sitting around me! Once there, we were broken up into the groups we would visit the houses in. On this day, we were able to meet ladies from all of the lovely houses! I had a lot of fun meeting so many of the new candidates in my group, and he sorority members in the houses as well. For this day we were given a special recruitment t-shirt to wear (which I ended up tucking it in and cuffing the sleeves...just fyi).


Shorts: Juicy Couture//Shoes: Steve Madden

Day 3: 
The third day will be a little easier on your nerves, as after talking to so many people during the first and second days, you should be feeling a bit more at ease. On this day we got to visit up to six houses, and we each had our own individual schedules. The set dress code was "Cute Casual". While I decided to wear a dress, there were many girls wearing cute, lace shorts, rompers, and jumpsuits too.

Dress: Lilly Pulitzer//Shoes Giuseppe Zanotti


Day 4:

By day four you will have this routine down and talking to the houses will come naturally to you when you visit up to 4 of the sororities! This day was "Business Casual". Again I wore a dress but don't feel obligated to! I promise there are many girls in skirts, nice shorts, and other pieces.



Dress: Forver 21//Necklace: Northgate Vintage//Shoes: Vince Camuto

Day 5:
This was by far the most stressful day! This day is known as "Preference Night"! Everyone looks their best in "Cocktail Attire" while you visit your final two houses. It might have just been me, but I was most nervous this day because I felt like the pressure was on to make one last good impression with the sororities. It is a very special/emotional night during which the girls in the houses will give a presentation that shows you what the sorority means to them and what they have gained/learned while there. Be prepared to cry a bit!!!


Dress: Nordstrom//Shoes: Jessica Simpson
Day 6:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! The day you have been waiting for! You will literally spend all day daydreaming in class and thinking of nothing but what name you'll see when you open your bid card! When it was finally time for this, we met up in our school ballroom, sat on top of our bids in a circle and waited for the count down. Once opened, everyone runs to their new home and waiting sisters. TAKE THIS MOMENT ALL IN! This is when everything changes; when you become a part of something bigger than yourself! Congratulations, you made it!



Tips:

1. Before recruitment starts, say goodbye to all your friends who are in a sorority already! You will not be able to talk to them the whole time! It’s nothing personal; it’s just the rules.


2. Appreciate all the work that went into your recruitment week. It will be way better than you can imagine and it is all thanks to those women (and maybe men) who worked hard to put it together for you!
3. Also before it all begins, get as much sleep as possible, clean your room, and pick out your outfits before hand: You will be mentally and physically exhausted during this week! Nothing will get done and if you are anything like me your room will look like a twister hit it before the week is over. Doing these will save you time, help you be able to sleep until the last minute, and make your week that much easier, I promise!


4. Things to bring:

-A blanket: it was super cold in the building we were in

-Homework/books/magazines: it is super easy to get behind on schoolwork and there will be plenty of down time.

-Snacks: You will be there for a long time and you will get hungry!

-Makeup, perfume, compact, mints, etc: Like I said, long hours, naps, eating...you are going to want to freshen up in between rounds. Bring a lint roller! You will be on the floor and I personally had a bad, sudden link disaster that I barely escaped from.

-Small notebook: We had one provided but in case you don't, bring one to write notes about your visit to the houses! You want to remember the details and you will not be allowed to talk about it with your friends.


5. Use your recruitment counselors! They are there to help you without bias or judgment! They are sweet ladies and they know what you are going through! I promise they are your best assets!

6. BE YOURSELF: This is one of the most important! You are trying to find the place best for you and the only way to do that is to be real about who you are! There is a place for everyone so don't feel like you have to be someone else to get in!


7. HAVE FUN: Cherish this time! Most likely this will be the only time you do this, so make it count! It is a great experience that shouldn't be clouded by stress and nerves! Honestly the girls who will chat with you are just as stressed and nervous to talk to you as you are to them! Just relax and enjoy it!


I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to find your new home in college and your sisters that will forever be in your life!



Xo,
J. Nichole

Comments

Popular Posts