Martha's Vineyard


      You're Not In or At, You're On the Vineyard

When one moves out to New York, it is easy to be filled with excitement about all the things you will get to experience in the city. However, one must not forget that there are glamorous spots outside of the city as well. No, I'm not talking about Brooklyn, Queens, or one of the other boroughs. I mean those glitzy places that the Real House Wives and Upper Eastsiders run off to seasonally or to spend time in their second home to get a break from city life.

Personally, I was always keen on the idea that some of the preppiest hangouts would now be a short plane/train ride away from me. I fantasied about weekend trips with my girlfriends to places like The Hamptons, Nantucket, Georgetown, and yes, Martha's Vineyard.

Having never been to MV before, I was unaware of all the different modes of transportation that are required in order to get there. To be honest, I was slightly glad to be learning about it as I went, otherwise I might've spent the whole time dreading each step. After a quick flight from LGA to Logan Airport in Boston, then a thirty-minute shuttle ride, followed by a long two-hour drive. 

It wasn't until I got to Falmouth, MA that I was told the fairies over to MV were down for the rest of the day due to a storm. With a reported sixty weddings that were supposed to be happening that weekend on MV, I considered myself lucky to have been able to snag a room at the precious Sea Crest hotel, located right on the beach. Serving crisp wine and possessing plenty of charm, the Sea Crest was a delightful place to spend the night chatting and catching up on some lost winks of sleep.

 



In the morning, after confirming that the ferries were up and running again, I booked it over to the dock to grab tickets and a speedy lunch at Quick's Hole.








We were staying at a hotel that came highly recommended: The Summer Camp Hotel.





 





The Summer Camp Hotel is a boutique hotel modeled after, you guessed it, your favorite childhood summer camp. Since I never attended camp, I was a bit worried about what the accommodations would be like. However, if camp really was as lovely as this hotel, I would have given it a try! The hotel had long hallways of polished wooden floors, paddles and archery arrows mounted on the walls, a game room with a hoard of your favorite childhood board games, the softest linens, and a wonderful staff.

After freshening up, I took a mini tour of the area.


This is the boardwalk that was used in the filming of Jaws


Lighthouse under construction
Then it was back to the hotel to change and get ready for the party! While packing, I was conflicted with wanting to throw every brightly colored Lilly Pulitzer piece I owned in my suitcase for a classic, preppy island look verses sticking with a fall color scheme to match the season. What I finally landed on was an onyx colored Lilly Pulitzer set.





 


Morning came much too soon, and it was time to say goodbye. However, you cannot go all the way to MV and not stop by the original Black Dog Bakery.














While my time there was short, Martha's Vineyard was an incredibly lovely place! With all of its quaintness and charm, it is easy to see why people flock there all summer. Everyone on the island was so relaxed and friendly (I'd like to think this is because of the wine). Even in Fall, people were conversing endlessly about the latest party they attended, the new brand of champagne they had tried, and how cute the gingerbread houses were no matter how many times they had seen them. Island life  doesn't get much better than this!







Vivre dans le luxe,
Jordin

Comments

Popular Posts