When the Devil No Longer Wears Prada

"A Million Girls Would Kill for this Job"
-Emily on The Devil Wears Prada-

As a now college graduate, I have come to conclusion that life is about to get real. For starters, leaving behind my beloved apartment in my college town was heartbreaking! I spent hours planning, shopping for, and setting up a rather large collection of home décor pieces that I felt gave the petite flat a luxurious look and feel. Also, having to abandon my cozy local café! Moving to a big city means one of two things: switching back to solely Starbucks or paying for overpriced lattes at a trendy spot downtown. But I think the biggest struggle of them all has been that people expected me to get a job...ummm, excuse me?

Don't get me wrong: I obviously spent the best four years of my life pulling my hair out wondering why I was forced to take biology purely in the knowledge that the hard times would ensure a fabulous future job. However, between daydreams of Chanel and dining with top fashion girls, I seem to have pushed the thought of becoming employed to the farthest recesses of my mind. How was I supposed to enjoy things like morning massage appointments, mid-day mani/pedis, and deciding at 4 pm that I was ready to enjoy a long bath and a chilled glass of champagne if I was expected to report somewhere from 9-5?

On the other hand, living a fabulous lifestyle tends to cost a pretty penny, so I was off to scour the internet to find a job that would have me as the "New Emily" yet again.



Fortunately for me, I had a few connections that landed me in a brand new internship role at a consulting firm in a metropolitan area! Now before you go all "Omg, another internship as a fashion consultant, how cool!" on me, let me clarify that that is not exactly what I mean.... I work for a company that specializes in consulting for oil and gas companies in IT and security.

Shocking, I know. I'm now immersed in a world full of tech nerds and brainiac engineers. Let me tell you, it is hard being the self-proclaimed Queen of Extra here. While in my collegiate Greek life period, "doing the most" was considered AH-MAZING! I was once embraced with greeting like "How do you always look so cute?" "Wow, I'm so impressed by how you are always in heels!" "You had the best theme/props for Big/Little Revel!" I am now basically considered a try-hard and thrown a few more side eyes than I'm used to.

Never the less, I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to not only work for such a well-established company, but also for the chance to potentially throw out a little fashion expertise to some ... shall we say, ensemble-ly challenged souls.


It's going to be an interesting summer! Follow me on social media to see how I navigate it all!



Vivre dans le luxe,

Jordin

Comments

Popular Posts